“David Warner has been ruled out of the Qantas test tour of India and will return home,” CA said in a statement.
“Warner was struck on the elbow in the second Test in Delhi and sustained a hairline fracture. After further assessment, he will require a period of rehabilitation which will preclude any further involvement in the remainder of the Test series.
“It is currently anticipated that he will return to India for the three One-Day Internationals which follow the Test Series.”
Warner was substituted by Matthew Renshaw in the second innings in the second Test here with delayed concussion symptoms after being struck on the grille of his protective batting helmet by India fast bowler Mohammad Siraj in Australia’s first innings.
That blow came shortly after Warner had been struck on the arm by another rising delivery, with x-rays subsequently confirming the left-hander had also sustained a hairline fracture of the elbow.
The 36-year-old had struggled for form across the first two Tests, which Australia lost heavily to trail 0-2 in the series, returning 26 runs from his three completed innings. Australia coach Andrew McDonald indicated on Monday that a decision on Warner’s fitness would be coming.
“Warner’s still sore at the moment. We’re in no rush to make any decisions at this point in time around Davey. Just seeing how that settles, how functional that is,” McDonald had said.
Australia has already lost fast bowler Josh Hazlewood (achilles soreness) for the remainder of the campaign, while fellow Test squad members Mitchell Starc and Cameron Green were absent from the opening two matches of the series as they recover from finger injuries.
Green is, however, expected to be fit to play in Indore. He was very close to being selected in the second Test, during which he faced fast bowling in the nets.
Leg spinner Mitchell Swepson is due to return to India and rejoin the squad having flown home after the opening Test in Nagpur for the birth of his and partner Jess’ first child.